UPDATE (4/2/12): We are only $2000 away from hitting the goal! Please let me know if you can help in any way.
I need your help! I know money is tight all around right now, but this program means so much to my community and any help will be appreciated. I have sought funds for the program through many traditional and non-traditional methods, and here is the next non-traditional one!
One of the groups I work with in Maine is called the Heirloom Seed Project. Based at Medomak Valley High School, it is the oldest high school seed-saving program in the United States and its 850 heirloom varieties comprise the sixth largest heirloom seed bank in the United States. Spearheaded and run for 21 years by Neil Lash, a 70-year-old educator with unmatched brilliance and whimsy, the program has sustained tough economic times. The school sells seeds through the Seed Savers’ Exchange Network and is internationally known.
This summer, I hope to initiate a Teen Agricultural Crew program at the school, where two teens will be hired to:
- Work three mornings each week for the summer, and after school in spring and fall.
- Raise heirloom crop varieties for donation, seed-saving, and processing.
- Understand the importance of biodiversity.
- Study genetics, horticulture, and the unique histories of each seed variety.
- Grow leadership skills through volunteer management.
- Develop entrepreneurial skills through learning how to run a seed-saving program for sale through community distribution and through Seed Savers’ Exchange.
- Plan and market community events.
- Learn teamwork and problem-solving skills.
The program, including funding for two student stipends, one teacher stipend, and reimbursement for field trip travel, will cost $4250. I have raised $1050 the from the Waldoboro community and $750 (so far) from my extended network of generous friends, family, and colleagues. And now, I am looking to you for the remaining
$2450 $2000! If you are interested in donating (even $1!), comment or e-mail me (genna dot cherichello at gmail dot com) with the amount you are willing to donate. As soon as we hit the mark, I will e-mail all donors to send your checks to the program!
And of course, there are prizes! For donations up to:
- $25: Thank You note & 2 packs of heirloom seeds.
- $50: Thank You note & 4 packs of heirloom seeds.
- $75: Thank You note & 6 packs of heirloom seeds.
- $100: thematic hand-drawn poster, Thank You note & 8 packs of heirloom seeds.
- $250: tour of the Heirloom Seed Project facility, thematic hand-drawn poster, Thank You note & 10 packs of heirloom seeds.
- $500: homemade, gourmet, four-course meal cooked with selection of products grown at the Heirloom Seed Project, tour of Heirloom Seed Project facility, thematic hand-drawn poster, Thank You note & 12 packs of heirloom seeds.
If you are not local to Waldoboro (or don’t plan to visit) but still wish to donate $250 or more, please contact me to work out your compensation.
Thank you in advance, and do not hesitate to spread far and wide!